Thursday, June 16, 2011

Happy Father's Day

The past two weekends have been quiet for us. Joe was gone for both, but the kids and I just chilled the weekend of the 4th and 5th and last Saturday we went up to Lake Martin wtih Other Mama, Pap-Paw, Pam, Peggy and Bill. We got to swim an hour or two before the storms hit, but we did have a good afternoon.

We have had VBS this week so that has us all tired this week. Our church does VBS at night so that the whole family can enjoy it. We eat dinner together, sing, have lessons, and do crafts. Even Joel is doing crafts! I love it no matter who tiring it is :)

A lot has been going on with Joel lately. The first week of June he developed a horrible cough. I took him to the doctor and it was croup. He is feeling much better. The same day I took him to the doctor, his 3rd tooth broke through. His 4th tooth is very close to breaking through. After he finally started feeling better from the croup it was like he finally came into a personality. He is babbling all the time now and just seems different. Stilly my happy little boy, but just with more personality. The biggest new accomplishment for Joel is that he is now officially a crawler. I dropped him off at Ms. Debbies on Tuesday, June 14, 2011, and while she and I were talking I looked down and there he was crawling for a toy. We then moved another toy to another spot and and he crawled over to it again. I almost cried. He has also added pulling up to his resume, ha ha. His newest trick, and I still can't believe all of this has happened in a 2 week period, is taking steps while standing up and holding on to your fingers. Up until last night every time you would stand him up with him holding onto your hands/fingers, he would just stand there, you could try to make him move or walk and he would not, he would just stand there. Well last night while we were waiting for the girls to get finished in their classes, I had him standing up holding onto my fingers and he started taking steps towards his Daddy. I guess just everything clicked for him. He is starting to eat more solid foods and is loving it. My baby won't be a baby for very much longer. He goes for his 9 month check up on July 1st. When I took him to the doctor for croup he was a little over 24 pounds, but as much as he has been moving around he might have actually lost some by then. We shall see.

Josie gets more and more excited about start kindergarten every day. If only I shared her enthusiasm. One day we were sitting in church and Joe looked at Josie's shoe and said since when does she wear a size 12. I looked at him and said, that's what hits you. Not the fact that she is 5 1/2 or about to start kindgergarten, but that she wears a size 12 shoe.

Jolie, my sweet funny Jolie. She keeps us laughing. You never know what is going to come out of that girls mouth. She has been practicing writing her letters and wrote a perfect "e" for us the other night. I was very proud of her. She isn't as into school as Josie is so to see her practicing her letters was a good thing. For right now we have not gone to the urologist, and we are holding off. She stopped having accidents, so we are going to wait to see if she starts again. As soon as she does, I'll get her in, but for now since she isn't have the problems, I'm going to wait.

This weekend is Fathers Day. I have been so blessed to have so many wonderful "Fathers" in my life. I love each of them so dearly and can't imagine having not known any of them.

1. Joe is an amazing father. As soon as he walks in the door all three kids just light up. He has helped do everything with the children since they were born. He gone up all 3 in the middle of the nigt, he changed diapers, took them to doctors appointments. He now takes the girls on dates and plays with them. He is a great role model by being an active member of church, teaching Sunday School, and an elder. When he isn't at work he is with his family with some exceptions for fishing and hunting. He loves to snuggle with all 3 and always gives lots of hugs and kisses. I could not have asked for a better father for our 3 beautiful children.

2. My Dad. My dad was also and still is an amazing father. He and I had a great realitionship as I grew up and we still to this day have a great relationship. I always knew I could go and talk to him about anything. He was always willing to show us how to do anything and if he couldn't he found someone who could. He introduced us to all types of new experiences and always let us make our own choices. He also was very involved in church, taught Sunday School, and was an elder. He loves my children as if they were his own and would do antyhing for them. He was a God send during my pregnancy with Joel. I had more problems with swelling and was a little more tired with him and Daddy would just let me put my feet up while he helped with the girls. If it weren't for Joe and Daddy Jolie's 3rd birthday party probably wouldn't have happened. He gets down and plays with the kids and helps with all 3 in any way he can. I could not ask for a better dad or grandfather to my children.

3. My Father-in-Law. Joe and I have been together for over 17 years now so I have been a part of the Burdick family for quite some time. I have always felt welcomed into the family and felt like one of theirs. I know that if I ever need anything I can always call on them. He also loves our children as his own and I know would do anything for them. My kids love spending time with him and he gets down and plays with them. He is a blessing to our family.

4. My brother. My brother is another great dad. Not only does he take care of his own son, but he and Tiffany are foster parents. They have had several children come and go through their house, but I think they have all fallen in love with Ben. It is so sweet to watch Ben with Tanner and his foster children and it warms my heart to know that God has blessed him with a beautiful family. My girls love their Uncle Ben and know that they will always have a good time when he is around. Ben is a great role mode by being active in church and being a family man. I am so thankful I have him as a brother and an uncle to my children.

5. My brother-in-law. Quint is another wonderul dad. He has two beautiful children that love and adore him. Quint is also a family man and spends the majority of his time that he isn't working with his family. He is active in his church and his teaching his son how to be a great dad too one day. My kids also love their Uncle Quint and think the world of him. I know I keep repeating myself, but again, I am so blessed to have Quint as a brother and an uncle to my children.

6. My grandfathers. I have limited memories of my Pap-Pap Anderson because he died when I was in the third grade, but his legacy lives on in the family he left behind. He loved his family and was my grandmother's one true love. He loved to work with wood and with his hands. We all have things that he made for us and I always hold those things dear to me. My grandfather was in the military and served our country as did my father. Although I don't remember too much about him, I know that he was a great man.

I also have limited memories of my Pap-pap Berdine because I didn't get to spend that much time with him. He died when I was a Senior in High School but lived in Pennsylvania and south Florida so our visits were few and far between. What memories I do have of him are good ones. He was a stern man that loved his family and did whatever he had to take care of them. He also served his country and I admire him greatly for that.

7. Joe's Grandpa Green. Joe's Grandpa Green died the February before we married in May 2002. He also was a great man that loved his family. I loved going to visit him. There were often times when Joe and his grandmother would go fishing and I would stay with Grandpa and we would just sit on the porch and talk. I loved listening to his stories. He also accepted me as part of the family.

8. I have numerous uncles, cousins, friends, and men from church that are also great fathers and role models. I love each of them and am blessed to know and have known them. I am so thankful that my children are growing up with such a wonderful "village" to help raise them.

Happy Fathers Day to all the fathers out there. Thank you for all you do!!


Photobucket

No comments: