Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Happy 4th of July

Last week was an interesting week for us.

Tuesday Joel starting running fever and we had to take him to the doctor. He had strep. The doctor said he could go back to school on Friday so I kept him with me at work Wednesday and Thursday. Wednesday was rough. He whined almost all day and mainly just wanted to be held. Thursday was a little better. Friday he went to school but he had his ninth month check up that afternoon. When I got off work I went and picked him up and took him to his appointment. For the most part everything went well. He weighed a little over 24 pounds and is in the 90-95 percentile for his height, in the 95-100 percentile for his weight and 50 percentile for his head circumfrance. He is on target with all of his learning and physical capabilities. Then they started checking him out. There was a person training so she checked him out first and then the doctor went behind her and checked him again. His belly button went down to normal size from his umbilical hernia so I asked that she check that his hernia had healed. She checked him out and went to his chart and started flipping through it. She didn't say anything she just kept looking through his file. I asked her how his hernia looked and she said, "Oh, I didn't check that." She then looked at me and asked me if anyone had ever told me he had a heart murmur. I said no. I must have turned as white as a ghost because the training nurse kept looking at me concerned. She said that he does have one and that we will have to go see a cardiologist. She said every time they find a heart murmur they have it checked out. She said most of the time they are innocent murmurs and do affect a person's quality of life, but in some cases surgery is required. She told me it is better to have one "pop up" then to be born with it. She kept trying to calm me down, but I looked at her and said you have kids, don't tell me to calm down. I do know a ton of people that have heart murmurs including several in our family, but until we know what kind Joel's is, I am going to worry and be scared. So please everyone pray that Joel's is the innocent murmur.

Friday night we went to Hobby Lobby to get some scrapbook paper. I do scrapbooks as my children's baby books, and Jolie's only had four or five pages done. I told Joe that I could not in good conscience start Joel's until I had finished Jolie's. Yes, she is almost four, but hey it is getting done and that is what is important. When we moved all of my scrapbook stuff was put in the outside storage building because we did not have room in our house, so Joe was kind enough to get it out and so far I have done probably 15 pages.

Saturday Joe worked and the kids and I hung around the house all day. We did take two walks, but other than that it was a lazy day. Sunday the kids and I went to Sunday School, went and visited my grandmother for an hour, and then met my friend from high school and her three children at the Millbrook park. The kids played on the playground and in the creek and then we went home and passed out. Well everyone except Josie. I don't know how she was not tired. After naps I took the girls to Other Mama and Pap-Paws to spend the night. Monday morning I got up and cooked and then we went up to the lake as is our family tradition. We had a great day. We swam for hours and ate a lot of good food. On the way home we picked up some fireworks. The girls had watermelon for dinner and were ready to do fireworks. The girls got to do their sparklers and then we watched our little firework show that Joe put on for us. After that it was bath and bed. No one wanted to get up this morning so tonight will be a very early night for us.

I have picked up the school supply list for Josie to start kindergarten. Good grief, they need a lot of stuff. I guess I will do the shopping slowly. I do not think we required near the stuff they do today. Josie continues to be super excited about school. Although she can not read yet, she is learning to spell more and more words.

Jolie is learning to write her name. Write now if you ask her to write her name she writes "Joe." So all she is missing is 2 letters. She is also getting much better at coloring and is doing better at staying in the lines. I can not believe she will be 4 in just 2.5 months.

I have taught Joel to say "bye-bye." Of course he doesn't always say it when I ask him to, but sometimes he does. Like most kids he says it once he is in his carseat in the van. Sometimes he waves his hand up and down (instead of side to side) when he says bye-bye and sometimes he just says it. The second hardest part of his appointment was making his next appointment--his one year appointment. Where is the time going??

Well I hope everyone had a great 4th of July.

I'll end with some pictures from swimming with Aunt Sheila, Caden, and Ansleigh the weekend before:


No comments: