Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Our Christmas

My Christmas holidays started last Wednesday at noon when I got off work. Normally I go straight to get the girls from Erica but I had so much to do that I did not pick them up until the normal time. I had to do some last minute shopping and then I went home to change into my Martha Stewart costume. I had so much fun. This year I gave all the adults in my family a homemade food item. I made grape salad for the wowen in our family and puppy chow for the men in our family, well except for Mr. Randy, I made him red velvet cookies. The kitchen was a mess but it felt good to make these yummy goodies for our loved ones. Thursday Joe had to work so the girls and I played around the house. That night we had our candle light service at church. It was so cute because Josie asked us several times on the way to church that night if we were going to sing Happy Birthday to Jesus. Sometimes the things she says just melts your heart. Both girls did great and held candles during the service (with adult supervision of course). After church we stopped by Mee-Maw and Paw-Paw's to see them and Gigi. We headed home around 9:00 p.m. When we got home the girls got to open a present a piece (a family tradition which is always their Christmas pajamas) and then a present to them together which was a Beirnstien Bears book about saying your prayers. AFter that the girls were alseep within thirty minutes. Joe and I had done a lot of preparation work before Christmas so that we would not have as much to do Christmas Eve night and so getting the living room "ready" was fairly easy, but we still did not go to bed until midnight. Even then though I could not go to sleep. You would have thought that I was the child waiting for Santa and Christmas morning. I was just so excited for the girls. I finally fell asleep around 1:00 a.m. Every year we invite the grandparents to be there Christmas morning and we had told everyone 7:00 a.m. Well Josie was up at 5:50 a.m. I had set my alarm for 6:00 a.m. so that I could start making breakfast for everyone. So I went ahead and got up and then Lol woke up. Poor Joe had to keep the girls contained in our room while I made breakfast. I made susauge balls, blueberry muffins, strawberry muffins, cinammon rolls, and coffee. We used birthday plates, napkins, and cups to help remind us why we were really celebrating. It was 7:20 a.m. before the girls got released from our room. They walked out into the living room to see their stockings full of candy, sunglasses, books, bracelets, and disney chapstick. Josie had a big girl car seat, a gum ball dispenser, a purse, a remote controlled helicopter, a dora flashlight, a princess hooded towel, and an outfit. Jolie had a a big plastic horse, Minnie Mouse lovie, a purse, princess flashlight, remote controlled helicopter, outfit, and a guitar. Their wrapped presents contained movies, popcorn buckets, toy drill, toy saw, cap guns, remote controlled my little pony on a scooter, v-tech writing pad to help Josie with learning her letters and writing them, bathtime Dora doll, bubble bath sets, and uno barn yard game. They also got to open Other Mama's present which was long sleeved clothes, things they desparately needed. Santa had even left treats for our cat Claire, and dog bones for Browning and Cherry. We told the girls we should give the dogs their bones and they walked out into the backyard to see their big present, a trampoline. It was too wet from raining all night the night before to jump, but they were so excited. We videoed the entire Christmas morning so unforunately, we do not have any pictures. Othere Mama took pictures but they are blurry where the girls kept moving. After opening presents we ate some breakfast and the girls played with their toys while Joe played with the helicopters. I then started making twice baked potatoe casserole and broccoli casserole for the Christmas dinners we would be attending. A little while later Uncle Ben came over and brought the girls their gift, a bubble bbq grill. They both love bubbles and I can't wait to take it outside for them to play with. Around 10:30 we headed out to my Aunt Pam's for lunch with my side of the family. The girls got coloring books and crayons, head flashlights, dolls, jackets, puzzles, and candy. After visiting for a while we headed to Mee-Maw and Pap-Paw's house for Christmas with Joe's side of the family, but we missed everyone. It was just Mee-Maw and Paw-Paw when we got there a little after 3:00 p.m. We had already known that we would not be seeing Quint & Sheila because we all have colds and we did not want to get Ansleigh sick, but were hoping to get to see Joe's Aunt and Uncle. The girls opened presents from Joe's side of the family and got dolls, hats and gloves, and magnetic paper/cardboard dolls that comes with tons of clothes. It was a busy day and we were all exhuasted, but I think the girls had a great time and loved everyone's presents. The next day Joe had to work again and so the girls and I once again just hung out at the house. I waited until Joe was home so that he could be there to see them jump on the trampoline for the first time. It was 4:00 p.m. before we headed outside, but they loved it. Josie was so excited. We played outside for about an hour and headed back in for dinner and baths. We were all so exhausted from the day before that the girls were alseep by 6:30 p.m. and Joe and I were alseep by 8:15 p.m. Sunday the girls and I went to church whlie Joe went to work. Later that day we went shopping so Joe and I could spend some of the money that we had gotten for Christmas. I got Alabama (the football team) flip flops, a red, black & white purse (for Alabama), a dress, and two shirts. I am all about Alabama stuff these days. So far all Joe has bought is long johns and gloves. We went to Academy Sports, Bass Pro Shop, and then had to make the dreaded trip to Wal-Mart to get food and diapers for the week.

Yesterday after picking up the girls Josie wanted to see Christmas lights and I gave in because I do not know how much longer they will be out. Most people had already taken theirs down and she was very dissappointed.

All in all we had a great Christmas and I think Josie got we were not only enjoying Santa, but that we were celebrating Jesus' birthday. Hopefully so. A mother can only hope.

Photobucket

No comments: