Monday, August 15, 2011

Josie's Last Hoorah

Some of my favorite childhood memories are the spontaneous things (or at least they were spontaneous to my brother and me) we did. I decided I wanted to keep that "tradition" alive with my children and so this past weekend we had a Last Hoorah for Josie before she officially became a kindergartener. As always we are tight on money so I had to be creative, but before my surprise came Aunt Sheila's surprise. Thursday night Joe and I went went to Quint and Sheila's house to watch Caden and Ansleigh while Sheila and Quint went to Caden's open house. Around 7:15 Joe took our kids home to get them in bed while I stayed and put Ansleigh and Caden to bed. When Quint and Sheila got home Sheila came in with this huge smile on her face, and told me that she wanted to surprise Caden, Josie, and Jolie and take them to Chuck-E-Cheese the next day. I think she was as excited about surpirsing the kids and spending that time with them, as I know the kids were once they got to Chuck-E-Cheese. The kids had an absolute blast and came home with pictures, candy, and goodies. Sitting at work Friday morning knowing that my kids were having a great time with Sheila and her sister Stacey made me a little jealous that I couldn't do something fun with the kids. Joe worked this weekend so I knew we really could not do much. Then it hit me. I had my birthday money sitting on my dresser and I had not decided what I wanted to do with it, so I decided to get a hotel room in Greenville, Alabama. We could stay at one with a pool where the kids could swim and at night we could go to the golf course and ride. There is a park close to the golf course so I knew we could do that as well. So on my lunch I ran home and packed up a suitcase, snacks, drinks, swim gear, and anything else I could think of that we would need. As soon as I got off work I picked up Joel from Ms. Debbie, picked up the girls from Sheila, and we headed to Greenville for Josie's Last Hoorah. We had a blast. Joe especially loved it because he had a 5-10 minute drive to work. Hopefully this will be one of the things the girls look back fondly on it, and appreciate that although we didn't do something super exciting, we did have fun, and it was a great little get away.

Sunday we came home and dropped the kids off with MeMaw and Paw-Paw so that Joe and I could go to my boss' father's funeral. He died Friday night, and the funeral was Sunday. After the funeral Joe had session and I rushed back to get the kids ready for Awana at MeMaw and Paw-Paw's church. Jolie moved up to Cubbies and although was a little shy at first warmed up to her teacher and new friends. Josie moved up to Sparks and was fine. I am sure it helped that she had one of her best friends, Elias, there. Annaleigh is in Puggles and I think she enjoyed it as well. Crystal and I talked and caught up and then attended the evening service.

Today was Jolie moved up to a new class at Millbrook Child Development Class. She is in K-4 now with Ms. Amanda. Ms. Amanda is super sweet and I know Jolie will just flourish with her as a teacher. Josie's first day of kindergarten is tomorrow and then starts going every day on Thursday. She is excited and ready. She has been counting down the days.

I'll end with some pictures of the kids at Tanner's birthday party:

No comments: