Monday, January 11, 2010

We Love You Maw

I do not even know where to begin as I type this. My good friend's, Mary Kelley, grandmother had been put in the hospital and was dying. I called her almost every day to check on her and to let her know that Joe and I were ready, willing, and able to do whatever we needed to help them out, be it watch their children or whatever. I was so consumed with her that I honestly was not prepared when I got the call from Other Mama telling me that my own grandmother, Maw, was dying. She had been bedridden for years and her health and mental status had declined more and more over the year or so, but I still was not really prepared. The next morning the nurse confirmed that yes she was actively dying and that it could be any time. That night, Tuesday, the girls and I went straight to my Aunt Elisa's house after work and spent time with my family and Maw. The girls were so cute because they kept going into Maw's room and checking on her. Josie would just keep telling us that she was still sleeping. Joe got there later that night and spent some time with the family. Wednesday night the girls and I went straight there again. Again, the girls kept going into the room and checking on her. Thursday night we did not go because the roads were supposed to be bad and icy. Friday morning I had to drop Joe off at the church because he was going on a 2 day session retreat to Lake Martin. Friday morning around 10:00 a.m. Maw went home. Other Mama called me about twenty minutes after it happened and my heart sank. Again, I knew this was coming but as prepared as you think you are never completely prepared to lose someone. I called Joe and I could tell it was hard on Joe not to be with me but he was as good as he could be over the phone. Saturday we again went to Aunt Elisa's to be with the family.
I have written a couple blogs about Maw and about the special person she was. I remember spending several nights with her as a child. Sometimes she would have 3-5 of us grandchildren spend the night with her at one time. She loved life and she loved to have fun. She loved to cook and spend time with her family. Most importantly she was a godly woman. When she moved in with my Aunt Elisa and we had to clean out her house there were probably hundreds of Christian books most with notes in them.
We had her funeral yesterday on Joe's birthday. I had to teach Sunday School and so Joe and I dropped the girls off with MeeMaw and Paw-Paw and we headed to church. I taught and then we headed up to Aunt Elisa's to be the family. A couple hours later it was time to head to the funeral home. Maw looked very peaceful. The service was nice, but the thing that touched me the most was Other Mama's prayer at the grave. I cried beneath my sunglasses as the family stood around Maw one last time.
Joe was absolutely amazing through this entire week. He was so supportive and there for me in every way. He was very much involved yesterday with the family and was a pallbearer as were Maw's other grandsons and grandsons-in-law. And he was such a great sport about spending his birthday the way we did. Later on in the night I told him I was sorry that his birthday was at all what I had expected it to be and he looked at me and said, "It was a great birthday. We helped people and spent time with family. That is what it is about." Now what kind of husband do I have.
This has been very interesting going through this with an almost four year old. Thursday I tried to explain to Josie that Mary Kelley's grandmother had gone to be with God and Jesus because we had been praying for them and now we needed to adjust our prayer to being with the family in this sad time. Friday I again had to explain to her that it was Maw that had now gone to be with God and Jesus. I think she has a pretty good grasp on it, but still wanted to see Maw's room Saturday to make sure that Maw was not there anymore.
The time that I have gotten to spend with family this week has been priceless. I think we all feel a little more connected. After the funeral and back at Aunt Elisa's we were all eating, laughing, and having a good time, and I know that is exactly how Maw would have wanted it.
I want to thank all of you that called me and checked on me and Other Mama through the week, those that called and offered your sympathy and support, and especially thank those of you that came to the funeral. It meant so much to all of us.
Photobucket

No comments: